Following the invention of oil in Abu Dhabi in 1958, and the first export shipments of Crude in 1962, plans have been drawn up for a grass root Refinery with a capacity of 15,000 barrels per stream day (BPSD) to satisfy a growing native want for petroleum merchandise. Building work on the mission began in 1973 and the Refinery, costing an initial $45 million, was inaugurated in April 1976.
So speedy was the growth in demand for oil products, nonetheless, that work started virtually instantly on installing a brand new Refinery to process an additional 60,000 BPSD and this was commissioned in 1983.
Necessities continued to grow in the fast-developing Emirate, and ADNOC decided to develop capacity yet again, with environmental issues in mind, to include additional items for Gas Oil Desulphurization and Sulphur restoration. The expanded Refinery started up in December 1992 with a rated capacity of 85,000 BPSD.
A Salt and Chlorine Plant, commissioned at Umm Al Nar in 1981, was merged in 1990 with the Refinery to form the Abu Dhabi Refinery and Chlorine Division.
Subsequently it was permanently shutdown on 30th November, 2001. Extraction of special distributor Two energy plants, owned and operated by Umm Al Nar Energy Company, and a Lube oil mixing/filling plant, owned and operated by ADNOC Distribution, are positioned adjacent to the Refinery.